Friday, November 6, 2009

Taking DIY decoration to the next level

WHILE some people might be content to personalise their walls by framing found and collected objects, Eltham’s Lindsay Maindonald has chosen to take DIY decoration a step further.

After 15 or so years away from the palette, Lindsay finally made the decision to start painting again partly through inspiration, and partly through necessity.

"As part of the Fringe Garden Festival, I had been displaying the works of Merv Turner in my garden studio," said Lindsay,

"This year, he wasn’t able to display so I thought I might get back into it again."


Having previously put on three exhibitions around Taranaki in the late 1980s, Lindsay was no stranger to painting, but had let his interest in it wane a little, becoming more interested in other consuming endeavours, like mountaineering and gardening.

"I’d wanted to go back to it but, you know, you really have to be in the mood to paint and things just came up."

However, drawing strength from his Christian faith, and facing an empty studio during festival time, Lindsay asked for divine help and two months ago, picked up his brushes again.

"I found I still had it and it all came flooding back. I’ve done about 10 works since then, and I’ve got plenty on the go."

And as lovely as it was to find he could paint anything again, Lindsay found to his further pleasure that his style hadn’t changed in the years between his forays into the field.

"My wife, Anita, has been gob-smacked; she had no idea I had it in me. I’m a little surprised that its come back so easily."

Typically, Lindsay uses oil paints and draws much inspiration from Mt Egmont / Taranaki, his favourite subject.

"Painting the mountain ties in really well with my interest in mountaineering. When I’m working on a painting of it, I have a great understanding of what I’m painting because I’ve walked and climbed there."

The idea of using painting as a reminder of past experiences is a feature of Lindsay’s work, and amongst his growing collection are pictures of mountains in Nepal and alpine lodges he has visited in his travels.

"These places mean something to me and I think that is really important. I use photos of places I’ve been to as subjects too. This way, I can relive being at the place I was visiting."

While oil paints and traditional paintbrushes are Lindsay’s favourite media, he has dabbled with other materials in the past, including watercolours, photography and works using a palette knife.

He also has the first painting he ever did – a farm vista, complete with animals.

"I’ve always loved painting; when I was supposed to be studying for School ‘C,’ I was usually painting. I felt drawn to it."

"I believe anyone can paint or draw. Some people will be better than others, but I just like to paint the colours I see."

Lindsay’s credits much of his present prolificacy with his faith.

"I asked God, ‘Help me paint again’ and it seems he has."

Lindsay will be showcasing a collection of his works at his studio at the Redwood Oaks English Manor Garden he owns in Eltham during the Fringe Garden Festival.


allvoices

0 comments:

Post a Comment