Monday, February 1, 2010

Back to the Fuchsia!

I may live in New York, New York and work for Metropolitan Home, but I grew up in the suburbs, where pastels rule the roost.

Since the original wallpaper came down, my mother’s living room has been lilac, pink, “sea foam” green and a kind of goldy-mustardy yellow.

I once took a look at a row of my aunts in their polyester pantsuits and thought, “They look like Easter eggs.” So everyplace I have ever lived since has been white or intensely colored.


Clothes? Festive midtown black, of course.My mother hates red rooms as much as black clothing, and she has an anti-red outburst every time a TV designer splashes the walls crimson.

But there isn’t a much more dramatic color. Los Angeles designer Marjorie Skouras thinks every home should have at least one red room (her own home, shown here, has a red living room). New York and Miami-based Benjamin Noriega-Ortiz, who likes any color as long as everything in the room is the same color, likes his pomegranate hues, as can be seen in the dining room pictured).New York and Miami-based Benjamin Noriega-Ortiz, who likes any color as long as everything in the room is the same color, likes his pomegranate hues, as can be seen in the dining room.


allvoices

0 comments:

Post a Comment